Kedarkantha is perfect winter trek and has become a favorite among trekkers from all over india and specially Delhi NCR. The view from Kedrakantha top offers a spectacular panorama of the entire region.
Difficulty :- Kedarkantha is a easy to moderate difficulty trek recommend for beginners.
Duration:- Starting from Dehradun to Sankri village to Kedarkantha Peak and return back to Dehradun which is 5 Day easy to moderate trek.
Altitude:- Kedarkantha peak is at 12,550Ft.
Best time to go :- Kedarkantha is famous for winter trek. In winter you can witness snowfall and thick layers of fresh snow all around. While in summer it becomes very colorful and scenic with a lush green landscape.
Kedrakantha trek is highly suggested for beginners as with a little bit of precaution many first timers are able to successfully summit the Kedarkantha peak.
Beginners – do take care of the following things:
- Work on your fitness and start going on walks at least 1 month prior to the trek
- Know the trek itinerary very well. If you are planning to trek on your own then pre-book your accommodation as there are very few hotels in Sankri.
- Have proper warm clothing and learn to dress up in layers especially for Kedarkantha winter trek.
- Take a guide along with you if you are attempting on own. Many guides are available at the base village Sankri. Though the trek is easy till the base camp, on the day of summit it is a bit difficult to find you way in snowfall and fog.
- For the summit day get up early in the morning and carry enough snacks and water in your day pack, prepare proper tent at safe location and have packed food or eatables.
These are major things you have to remember for Kedarkantha trek.
Clothes to carry for the Kedarkantha Trek:
Dry fit T-shirts 2 no.s
One thermal, which you can use in the night.
3 pairs of socks
Good trekking shoes (preferably forclaz 500 from decathlon)
Gloves, Sun Cap , Woolen Cap , Neck Warmer .
Water bottle / water bag
Spoon (if you can’t eat with hand 🙂 and sometimes washing hands in the cold nights is difficult
Liquid soap /Body wash / face wash
Tissue paper /tissue roll / wet wipes
Make sure your bag weight is less than 7kg’s so that you can carry your own load.
Start the Course of DIAMOX from the base camp if you are from plains . It helps in acclimatization better . Do take your personal medicines with you.
For recharging your phone , have a power bank as batteries drain fast in cold weather.
For camera, do take extra batteries, extra hd cards, good camera bag with Rain cover.
You can wish to take your tripod if you want to make some time-lapse, hyper lapse or star trail.
Finally, never attempt any trek without preparation. You will enjoy more in the trek if you are fit rather than worrying about paining knees or shoulders.